The Monthly RARC meeting 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, June 19th at 7000 Nicollet Avenue South, 55423. Agenda will include preparation for the 2019 Field Day. Louis will be taking orders for his BBQ dinners, $15 per person. Field Day will take place from noon Saturday, June 22nd through midday Sunday, June 23rd. Set up will begin at 9:00 a.m. The public is invited to visit the lower level of the community center from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday. So invite your friends and family. Also, if time permits, we will discuss interest in hand soldering practice and projects, day and time that will work for everyone.
Category Archives: Uncategorized
Meeting called to order at 1915.
The May GOTA event will not be held this month so we can focus on preperation for the June 2019 field day, which will be held on June 22nd into June 23rd at the Richfield Community Center at 7000 Nicolette avenue south, Richfield, MN 55423. More details to follow. Instead, the Richfield Historical Society will be performing property improvements on Saturday, May 25th 2019, 9:00 a.m., at 6901 Lyndale avenue south, Richfield, MN 55423. Carpentry skills and tools will be useful to build a boardwalk on the property. www.richfieldhistory.org
We have an informal gathering at Perkins restaurant on 494 and France avenue south in Bloomington, MN at about 7 p.m. on the 4th Wednesday of each month. All are welcome to join us.
A weekly net is held on the W0RRC UHF repeater on every Thursday night at 6:30 p.m. The repeater details are linked from the home page. All licensed radio operators are welcome to join in.
To all members: Please take time to take the radio club survey to help us serve the club better.
Motion to close, seconded and approved at 1957.
Our monthly meeting is this Wednesday, Topics are “NET Training” This will have role playing examples of many variations of nets and being interactive. Our goal is to have fun and know the different types of nets (formal (closed, or All Calls), informal (Normal Nets, or Gaming Nets), & Round Tables (Tech Nets, informational, or Discussion Nets). We will cover terms, the how to’s, & Q&A’s. We hope everyone feels comfortable to help us with our weekly nets by the end.
2nd Part… Is a brief look at the Field Day event. We need a (Go To Person) or a (Go To Group). Field Day in briefest summary is… The biggest ham event that happens annually. This year is on June 22-23 weekend that is a Get-On-The-Air Event in a 24 hour period and is open to all. We only charge people if they want a rib dinner made by one of our members for his expenses. We do many side activities including non-alcoholic refreshments and snacks donated by members. Most of our event is already setup.
*** WE ASK ALL HAMS TO JOIN A FD LOCATION! ***
12/97 members have finished our club’s survey This is not tracking any emails. We are trying to improve RARC by using this survey. We will be closing this survey Wednesday before the meeting. We are going to review the greatresponses at the meeting. CLICK HERE!
May 22nd @ 7pm… 4th Wednesday is our Informal Gathering having 12 chairs set together at Perkins (494 & France Ave.) The 1st person arrives needs to make the setup. We ask everyone orders a menu item. Perkins doesn’t have any advance reservations, but will setup for 12 people anytime. Please use RARC “Rock!” when reserving a space so people can find us!Family’s are welcome, Next month we might change locations.
May 25th… Get-On-The-Air needs a new location, or change to June 1st, but we will need someone to take lead.
Finally remember every club meeting we will try to revisita Basic Ham Radio related topic that we might have forgotten or was not in the test, Help with your Radio Programming Questions, and an Emergency Preparedness minute.
I will see you soon,
Don Pres KC0TJ
Nets every Thurs @ 6:30pm 444.475+ PL Tone 118.8
Formal Meetings every 3rd Wed of the month from 7-9pm (7000 Nicollet Ave S)
Informal Gathering every 4th Wed starting at 7pm at a restaurant (Must buy a menu item.)
RARC’s & BARA’s Free Study Group License Exam Study Group (Needs a new Chair)
RichfieldRadio.com Our website
facebook.com/w0rrc/ Like us on FB
firstname.lastname@example.org Our club email
A couple updates & events…
Our Bylaws & Constitution was passed and will be updated to the web soon.
Still need more people to take our survey nets dates might change based on 6 members responses.
Richfield Historical Society still needs help with spring clean-up & boardwalk building April 27 starting at 9am. (6901 Lyndale Ave.) Please call 612-968-8074. (The Historical Society hosts our 1st permanent club station.)
We will meet at Perkins (4201 W 78th St, Bloomington) April 24th 7pm for a very informal gathering for all. We will setup for 12 people to sit together. We ask people to order a food or a drink item, & RARC will not be paying for anyone’s orders. We have no advance reservations, but ask for “RARC (Rock)” when entering to find us.
MAY 15th next meeting… “Net Training and Pre-Field Day planning.” We need a Chairperson or Co-chairs for FD…
Next “Get On The Air Event” will be on May 25th 10am – 2pm… (Unknown Location)
Finally Happy Easter,
We are sorry… but APRS will be rescheduled per things beyond our control. we will be still voting on the club Bylaws & Constitution. However We will be help you Program Your Chi-Com Radios.
PLEASE BRING YOUR CHINESE PROBLEM RADIO!!!
New business, Present and discuss proposed changes to RARC constitution and bylaws. Will be voted on at the April RARC meeting. GOTA on March 30, 2019 at the outbuilding at the Richfield Historical Society, 6901 Lyndale Avenue South, Richfield, MN 55423. All are welcome, bring a chair and dress for the weather. 10 am to 2 pm.
Please join us for the weekly Thursday evening net on the W0RRC UHF repeater at 6:30 pm.
Presentation on basic hand soldering seemed to be well received and we plan to have a hands on session in the future.
We are doing our spring Get-On-The-Air event this Saturday March 30, from 10am till 2pm.
No alcohol or tobacco allowed during the event.
We will be at the Richfield’s Historical Society’s back shed. This is open to the public at no charge or no formal club meeting.
Please bring your own snacks and chair.
See you there.
To the RARC club members and friends of the RARC: Please join us for the Wednesday, March 20th club meeting at the Richfield Community Center at 7:00 pm, 7000 Nicollet Avenue south, Richfield, MN 55423. We will be presenting and discussing proposed changes to the RARC By-Laws to be voted on at the April 2019 meeting. Also to be presented is an introduction to basic hand soldering.
Nets are fun to check-in and here is some suggestions.
- Use your Full Call and any other information requested by the Net Control. (Always use you full call no matter what.) If you only give your last 3 of your call you have not properly Identified your station in case the Net Controller never hears you.
- Please use proper Phonetics and not strange codes. If Net Controller is on the ball he only needs to know 26 Phonetics.
- When using numbers Ø is a Zero & not a “Owe”, and 9 is Nine & not Niner. (If giving a big number like 1500 you can say “One thousand, Five hundred, or Fifteen hundred, or One Five Zero Zero.” never use” * * Owe, Owe.”
- When using “.” people can use “Decimal, Period, Dot, or Point.”
- Always wait for the Net Control to turn it to you before giving your detail information.
Terms & procedures
- Ways to Check-in only with nothing to add to the Net.
- Saying your call & “Clear.” Example “KCØTJ Clear”
- Saying your call & “No traffic.” Example “KCØTJ No traffic”
- Your call & saying “In & Out.” Example “This is KCØTJ In & Out.”
- Your call & saying “One for the count.” Example “KCØTJ one for the count.” This method is better after you check-in.
- Saying your call and adding “for a short.” or just saying “short” after your call. this is to say that you are a “Short Timer” this means you cannot stay the whole Net and you maybe ask to check-in at a different time.
- Saying “Recheck” This means you are a previous check-in and have an update.
- Saying “Comment” is a way to tell the Net Controller you have info based on the last check-in.
- Saying “Info” is a way to add any information related to the Net or topic.
- Saying “Contact” This is to meet another station on a different frequency off the Net frequency.
- Saying “Relay” Is asking another station to repeat information of another station.
- Saying “Break” This is a priority call in and is not necessarily an emergency.
- Saying “Break Break” is an emergency, but not necessarily life or death.
- Saying “Beak Break Break” is the same as SOS, PAN PAN PAN, and MAYDAY and Is a life or death call.
- Saying “a 2fur, or any #fur” is saying multi check-ins under one operator. Example ” This is KCØTJ with a 2fur please copy KAØEPZ she is in the kitchen cooking”
- Saying “Anyone Anywhere” this means typically open to anyone.
- Saying “Taking only 9s” this means only people with 9 in their call.
- Saying “Taking calls A through D” This refers to the letter right after your number. Example if your call was AAØE.. you must wait.
- Open Net is open to All
- Closed Net is restricted access
- Formal Net is restricted by certain rules. please verify them before checking-in
- Monitor the Net for all rules & procedures before checking-in.
- Find a good location with a strong signal before calling.
- Organize your thoughts before TXing.
- Press PTT button then talk.
- Use your call in Phonetics whenever possible.
- Speak clearly and confidently.
- Speak Slowly, and you may have to repeat your info twice this is normal.
- Always be patient with the Net Controller. The Net Controller might be taking notes at the same time.
- Don’t leave the Net until you are dismissed.
- If you need to leave the Net Check-in saying “Recheck” once you are acknowledged then say “Please check me out.” and your call. (If you coming back to the Net you might say your “Call” or “Recheck.” then ask “Please be check me back in” & your call.
- If you need to talk to another operator on the Net please use another frequency during the Net.
- Don’t use minimum power to check-in the Net this can make it hard for everyone and may take additional time taking away from others.
- Keep all transmissions quick unless otherwise stated.
- Always be friendly.